Thursday, February 12, 2015

I Love My Window

Good morning from NYC.

At this moment I am sitting at home in my breakfast nook, looking out the window at my morning visitors, Tom and Jerry. That's what my children have named the raccoon and cat that visit every morning on our fire escape.

I live in New York City where our balconies are made of steel, and where the trees that we see are purposely planted in the middle of this concrete jungle to give its human inhabitants a taste of nature. Us city folks are a special breed of people. We love the business of our city, and yet our nature in its purest form of humanity longs for some type of connection to nature. So we plant trees in the back of our buildings, where they will not be an obstacle or nuisance to those that need to rush from point A to point B in their busy schedule.

I love the view from my window. It faces the back of the building where no rushing feet march to that familiar beat of the busy New Yorker. Life back here, as viewed from my breakfast nook is so different than the life I view from my living room window in the front of the building. It's a total contrast of what the city life really is. In front of the world, (the front of our buildings) we often paint a picture of the totally focused, purposeful, determined, extremely busy city dweller.

Us New Yorkers all have our own personal escape from the world. For me and for my children, it comes in the form of a raccoon and a cat who have forged an unlikely friendship and who dwell in the back of our building, where the busy buzz of the city simply doesn't exist. It is the place where we watch the sunrise over the tall buildings of New York City, and pretend that they are glorious man made mountains strategically put there for our enjoyment.

To some this may seem as a cold, strange concrete jungle with no feeling and no natural beauty. To us it is home and it is the only place where our breakfast tastes like our breakfast, and where the sunrise is so authentically our sunrise.

Good morning to you all, my friends. May you find your own favorite window in your life.

- George L. Rosario, Realtor with Coldwell Banker Kueber in the greater New York City area. www.georgerosario.com

No comments:

Post a Comment