Friday, January 2, 2015

Tackling Life's Problems, One Smile At A Time

"Be kind to each other. It will solve a lot more problems than you think." ~ George L. Rosario

“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” ~ Mark Twain

“I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you'll dream dangerously and outrageously, that you'll make something that didn't exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return. And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind.” ~ Neil Gaiman

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.” ~ Plato

“My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” ~ Dalai Lama XIV

“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are so many quotes about kindness out there, so many people professing that it should be our way of life, and yet our world has become an unkind and unforgiving world. Senseless murders and crimes have become a way of life for many. Violence, war, greed, indifference; those are the mission statements for some.

This is a real estate / I love NY blog. Some may say that this topic doesn't belong on this blog. To them I say it has everything to do with this blog, and with all business related blogs online today. Business, when approached with kindness, and with a giving nature is always more productive and more satisfying for both the individual presenting the product or service, and the person on the receiving end.

So today I dedicate my first blog of 2015 to the #BeKind movement. I am asking others to join me in making it a point to be kind to one NEW person, every day for an entire year. Weather it is by giving someone something of monetary value, or simply giving someone a smile, I ask you all to join in the effort and give a little bit of kindness to someone new every day.

Yesterday was the first day of the year. I decided to be kind to the guys at Dunkin Donuts. I purchase a coffee from there often, and many times I simply just place my order (medium caramel iced coffee with milk and extra caramel), pay and walk out. I try to approach them with a smile, but I will admit that there have been times when I've done very little to acknowledge the person serving me my coffee. Last night I decided to thank them. I made it a point to address them by their first name (it's on their name tag). I said thank you after every sentence. I smiled. Before walking out, I asked the guy at the register how many people they had working there this night. He said there were four of them. I pulled out a $5 bill for each one of them and handed it over. I said thank you once again and I walked out. OK, so that cup of coffee cost me $23+ dollars. I'm not recommending you do that all the time. I was just feeling generous. As I was going to walk away, the girl that was standing by the donuts asked me to wait, and handed me a couple of Boston cream donuts. I said that was OK, but she said please take them. I walked out and there was a lady picking through the garbage for cans. I asked her for her name, said hello, and asked her if she would like a fresh, untouched donut. She said yes. I handed her the bag and she walked over to an elderly gentleman that was sitting on a stoop, opened the bag and shared the donuts with this old man.

You do not have to spend money. I went on a business trip to Hollywood California last October. While waiting on the line to return back home, the TSA agent who was directing people to the security check point looked like she could use a little love. So I stopped, but my bags down, smiled at her and told her she had a beautiful, warm smile and I thanked her for making my trip back home an enjoyable one. This agent must have been in her late 50's or early 60's. I hadn't seen her smile before I said this. She looked stressed out and had a very sad look on her face. The woman looked at me, smiled a sarcastic smile and asked me to stop messing with her. I smiled at her and gave her my business card and said, "I am being honest. I saw you smile and that's why I walked over this way, to thank you for it. Her smile because a very beautiful, warm smile and walked me over to the front of the line. I still had to go through the whole security thing, but walking with Agnes and speaking with her like two human beings for that minute and a half that it took her to walk me over to the front was great. I received a call from her just before Christmas. She called to tell me her husband of 31 years had just passed away, and she thanked me for making her smile that day at the airport. It turns out that her husband was going through a difficult fight against cancer, and that they both knew he would probably not make it past Christmas. She said my compliment reminded her to smile more, and that her husband commented on her smile the night before he passed away. She then told me to call her sister who lives in Brooklyn NY. She has a condo she wants to sell.

Look, I am no superhero. Giving does not make me special. Giving makes me human. Giving makes me feel good. So go ahead. Try it for yourself. Compliment someone today. Give of yourself. Together we can make this a much better world to live in.

#BeKind

George L. Rosario
Real Estate Salesperson
Coldwell Banker Kueber
67-13 Myrtle Avenue
Glendale NY 11385
917-945-4211 -CELL
347-671-SOLD -Direct
BigGRealty@gmail.com

http://www.georgerosario.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment